This week I somehow appeared as part of the Phoenix New Times’ “100 Creatives” series profiling Arizona artists, designers, musicians, etc. This is the interview I did with them:
1. I came to Phoenix with: my wife Vesna and dog Mulder.
2. I make art because: it’s an uncontrollable compulsion to make stuff.
3. I’m most productive when: the kids are in school!
4. My inspiration wall is full of: things that make me happy- art from Australia, framed records, Dr. Zoidberg fanart…
5. I’ve learned most from: podcasts like the Candid Frame and Brooks Jensen’s Lenswork.
6. Good work should always: reflect who you are as a person, and be given opportunities to live and breathe outside of one’s hard drive or closet.
7. The Phoenix creative scene could use more: community art events that aren’t based around buying, selling or partying. Stuff that is about neighborhood beautification and is open to regular folks.
And a few questions for background:
– What’s your age?
– In what city do your reside?
– What’s an average day like for you?
Up at 6, computer stuff (email, etsy, blogging, photo editing) from 7-11, then physical stuff like sculpting or photographing after lunch. When the kids are out of school I’m usually all theirs, but then I teach photo and art classes 3 nights out of the week. Summer breaks reverses everything where I teach a lot in the day and make art/computer stuff at night.
– What are you working on currently?
Learning 3-d model capture, and devising gallery show material that takes photographs off of the wall and puts them in a more installation-type environment. I’m also scanning various people’s skin and making custom viewmasters that are art pieces of their own. Even though it’s July I’m making sculptural masks for the December art walk tables, since the process of building inventory and getting them fired and glazed takes so long.
– Any big projects coming up?
I released an album of music with local model Lacheln on July 14 of this year and we’re making music videos for some of the tracks. Because I don’t have a lot of true video equipment I have to do these as time lapses with huge piles of xeroxes… it’s a lot of fun, and a way to bring different parts of my creative output together. In August I’m doing a mini-tour of LA, Portland and Vancouver CA, shooting around a dozen models for the raw material for all the above mentioned projects.
– If there’s any other biographical info you’d like to include, please do.
I currently teach adult photography and art classes/ workshops for City of Chandler Rec, City of Tempe Rec, Jerry’s Artarama in Tempe and Art Intersection in Gilbert, and teen art classes for Mesa Arts Center.